Monday, December 21, 2009

Women Praying at the Western Wall

yeah, I'm gonna go there...
Women of the Wall, why shouldn't women be allowed to pray at the Western Wall of their Temple while wearing a Tallit, kipa, or reading from the Torah?
As far as I see it, the Orthos do NOT hold the monopoly on Judaism, especially considering they are a miserably small percent of world Jewry.
Moreover, it is common site to see Jewish women in North American Reform, Progressive, Conservative and Reconstructionist congregations wearing tallit and reading from the Torah (consider Bat Mitzvahs!). Why should women be prohibited from reading from the Torah and wearing Tallit, especially when they do so in the women's section of the Wall?! Who is it hurting?! Also, the fact that a Jewish woman in Israel can be fined and SENT TO PRISON for wearing a Tallit is probably one of the worst abuses of human rights i can think of in this country!! It's an embarrassment!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think she was sent to prison. Detained, maybe arrested. But the High Court did review the law, upheld it.

    ReplyDelete